When it comes to the heat and humidity of summer, having a closet of tops that are a breezy and comfortable is almost as key as having the perfect pair of jeans in September. Whether you prefer a tee or a tank, I’ve found some great options to choose from.
Personally, I have a hard time spending real money on basic tees. I love them, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t always see the value in dropping more than $25.00. Especially on a white tee, because let’s be honest, when wearing a white tee shirt in the summer, do the underarms ever really stay….white? I’m also a huge fan of grey and black tees as well. Honestly, one of my favorite grey tees is a $9.00 steal from Old Navy!
I actually have this shirt in multiple colors, and I love it. The V-neck hits in just the right spot and the cotton is super soft. I’ve tried it in a a few sizes (XS-M) and I find that the small fits the best, especially for the summer when you don’t want anything too tight. I also have a few J.Crew tees that I love. The freespun cotton is amazing! I can also tell you they do have durability, because I’ve had mine for I think 2 years.
It would make sense that after sharing that one of my favorite tees is a whopping $9.00, that I would follow it up with a favorite tank that I purchased at Marshall’s. I found a handful C&C California brand tanks there a few years ago, and it’s been love ever since. I love the fit (event though it can be slim) and that they are tailor made for layering. I can also attest to the fact that they hold up for multiple summers.
Here are a few others that I thought you might love…
(Clockwise from title)
1. Michael Stars tops are worth a try if you haven’t before. Every piece I’ve ever had is tagged “One Size Fits Most”, and I’ve seen them fit ladies of many sizes. This tank has a good drapey shape for the summer heat, and while it’s a little pricey, this is another brand I know wears well.
2. Madewell doesn’t usually disappoint, and I think this tee might be on my must have list. I love that it has the curved bottom hem, and V-neck. I also love that it is a linen tee, so it lends itself to being dressed up.
3. This boyfriend fit tee is perfect for the weekend, or to throw on over a bathing suit on the screen porch. It also works well with skinny leans as you move into the evening and fall (but let’s not talk about that yet.)
4. I have this vintage cotton tank from J.Crew, and it’s another one that’s worth the money. The fit is amazing! The shape is ideal for hot humid days and it can easily be layered for the evening or inside with AC. Bonus that it’s J.Crew so you know it comes in a ton of beautiful colors.
5. These Linen Tees from LOFT have been mentioned before on this blog, but I couldn’t leave it out of this post. It’s been on rotation in my closet since I purchased it this spring, and I’m debating what other colors to add to my collection.
6. If you haven’t signed up for StyleMint yet, you totally should. The Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen curated shopping site always has great basics. This racerback tank is no exception.
A summer wardrobe isn’t complete with out a few basic tees and tanks. Which are your favorite?